- communications and other interactions with Nikon by any means (such as online contact forms, email, phone, our social media pages and accounts, etc.); and
- other electronic, in-person, hard copy written or other means by which you may provide us with information, such as by participating in Nikon-related contests, sweepstakes and/or other promotions, by redeeming an Nikon-related offer, by communicating with us at trade shows or events, by presenting products for service, and/or by registering your product.
Any of the above will be referred to as the Nikon “Digital Services” and. any person accessing, browsing or otherwise using the Digital Services, either manually or via an automated device or program, shall be considered a “User.”
- Information Nikon may Collect
Electronic information: We may collect certain common technical information. This information may include your Internet protocol (IP) address, browser type and computer operating system, device type, application software, time and date you visit or use the Digital Services, and traffic patterns and usage data, such as the pages you access, the address of the website that directed you to the Digital Services or the website you visit when you leave the Digital Services. Nikon collects this information to understand patterns of site activity, including aggregated user demographics, and to improve the Digital Services so they are more useful for you. While this information is generally non-personal, it may constitute personally identifiable information (“PII”) in certain circumstances. It is automatically collected through cookies, pixels, web beacons, log files and/or other tracking technologies, whether developed by us or provided by third parties (collectively “Cookies”), to the extent activated by you if required under applicable law. For information on default privacy settings and how to change them, including how to enable and disable geolocation services on a mobile device, see Section 7 below.
PII we collect on or through Digital Services: The types of PII that may be collected on or through the Digital Services include your name, your status (such as whether you are a consumer, student or journalist), mailing address, email address, title or occupation, and telephone number. Depending of the circumstances, additional PII that may be collected on or through the Digital Services includes, but isn’t limited to:
- If you are purchasing a product or service, your credit card number, expiration date and security code.
- If you decide to register your product(s), you may choose to voluntarily provide the date of your last eye exam, the type(s) of products to register and their purchase date, the reason(s) why you decided to buy Nikon products and your consent to receive our newsletter on our brands.
- If are entering a sweepstake, contest, giveaway or other promotion (each a “Promotion”), your age or birth date.
- If you are applying for employment, your work authorization information, visa status, desired salary, academic level, employment history including salary, language proficiency and any other information you include in the resume and/or cover letter you upload to the Digital Services. You may also choose to voluntarily provide optional information such as race, gender, or whether you are disabled.
- If you are participating in a survey, we may ask your gender and age, income, ethnicity, family size and marital status.
- If you are contacting us by email or other means, we may collect all PII contained in your communications.
- If you are sharing an article or page of the Digital Services with a third party, the third party email address will also be collected. By using such a referral feature, you certify that you have permission to provide your friend’s email address and to send them this content.
- If you are requesting or using any other of our services, information necessary to provide the service you have requested.
Location Information: We may also collect information about your location when you access or use the Digital Services. We may collect information regarding your general location using your IP address, to the extent activated by you if required under applicable law. If you access or use the Digital Services from a mobile device, we may collect more precise geolocation information from your mobile device, subject to your activation of such function if required under applicable law. This information may be used to customize certain features of our Digital Services and to provide you with location-based services. This information may also be used to send push notifications, which appear on the display of your mobile device in the form of a badge, alert or banner, and allow mobile applications to send information to your mobile device even when the application is not in use. For information on default privacy setting and how to change them, including how to enable and disable geolocation services and/or push notifications on a mobile device, see Section 7 below regarding your Opt-Out Choices.
- Purposes of PII Collection
We collect PII to provide a service, product or information about Nikon’s products or services or to complete a transaction with you. Examples include subscribing and sending you newsletters, entering you in a Promotion, enabling your participation in training, providing you with functions to find an eyecare professional or doctor, distributor, store or sales consultant, providing you with information regarding vision, vision care and vision correction, receiving, processing and responding to applications for employment, selling you a product or service, completing online surveys, or for product registration. We may also generally collect, use and disclose your PII to:
- Respond to your questions or comments or otherwise communicate with you.
- Provide customer service.
- Improve our products, services, marketing, and customer service.
- For promotional purposes and to send you promotional communications, to the extent permitted by law.
- Identify your preferences to customize our communications and marketing.
- Manage and record your settings, consents, communications and opt-out choices.
- Provide information about Nikon, its products, and services.
- Provide information regarding vision, vision care and vision correction.
- Allow you to find an eyecare professional or doctor, distributor, store or sales consultant in your area and schedule eye exams or similar appointments with such persons.
- Understand patterns of Digital Services activity and improve and customize the Digital Services.
- Conduct market research.
- Prevent and investigate malicious activity, security breaches, and fraud.
- Conduct analysis and for administrative purposes.
- Administer and fulfill Promotions.
- De-identify and/or anonymize your PII.
- Comply with applicable law, including tax and legal disclosure requirements and reporting to relevant authorities.
- Retention and Protection of PII
Nikon will retain your PII for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes of PII collection, unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law.
We take steps designed to ensure that only those employees and members of our staff who need access to your PII to fulfil their employment duties will have access to it.
Although Nikon employs physical, organizational and electronic security measures to protect PII, Nikon cannot promise the use of our Digital Services is completely safe or that your PII will not be disclosed or misused, either by accident or by the unauthorized acts of others. Nikon urges you to use caution when using the Internet. This includes not sharing your passwords.
- Disclosure of PII
Nikon may disclose your PII, as follows, for the purposes of PII collection and/or for other purposes specified below:
- Subsidiaries and Affiliates. Nikon may transfer PII to its subsidiaries and corporate affiliates, including future subsidiaries and affiliates.
- Consultants and Service Providers. Nikon will disclose PII to third party consultants, vendors, and service providers (such as providers of hosting, support, maintenance and remedial, repair services, mail delivery services, evaluation data analysis, data cleansing, order fulfillment and shipping, Promotion administration and fulfillment, advertising, marketing and promotional activities, fraud protection and risk reduction, and payment processing and authorization) to the extent necessary for them to provide services to you or Nikon that are aligned with the purposes outlined above.
- Joint Promotion Partners. Sometimes we conduct joint promotions with third parties. If you register for one of those joint promotions your information may be collected by both Nikon and the third party. Or, we may give you the option to have us share your PII with the promotion partner. Your PII will be used by us and/or by them as described in our posted privacy policies.
- Other Users of certain Digital Services. The Digital Services may contain customer reviews, forums and/or message boards and other online content. Please remember that any information submitted in these areas becomes publicly available to other Users, and you should exercise caution when considering the disclosure of your PII. To the fullest extent allowed under applicable law, we do not monitor such content and are not responsible for material posted by you or others in these public forums.
- Reorganization or Sale of the Company. In the event that the Nikon is merged with or becomes part of another organization, or in the event that Nikon is sold or it sells all or substantially all of its assets or is otherwise reorganized, the PII Nikon collects will be one of the transferred assets to the acquiring or reorganized entity.
- As Otherwise Allowed by Law. Nikon may transfer PII to third parties where we are expressly authorized or required by applicable law to do so.
Except as set forth above, Nikon will not grant access, disclose or otherwise transfer to third parties your PII unless Nikon obtains your consent in accordance with applicable law or if permitted or required.
- Parents and Guardians
- Consent Withdrawal, Opt-Out Choices and Privacy by Default
Withdrawal of consent to the use and disclosure of PII. You can withdraw your consent to our communication or use of your PII, at any time. However, such withdrawal may mean you will not be able to use or (fully) benefit from our services, features or offerings. Also, we may keep using or communicating your PII following your consent withdrawal to the extent permitted or required under applicable law.
Emails. You can opt out at any time of receiving future promotional emails from Nikon by following the unsubscribe procedures indicated in each email. Even if you opt out of receiving promotional emails from Nikon, we will send you transaction emails and respond to questions from you.
When required by applicable law, we ensure that, by default, the parameters of our Digital Services provide the highest level of confidentiality without any intervention by you. This means, notably, that any Cookies and any other technologies with features allowing you to be identified, located or profiled (including for interest-based behavioral advertising activities described below) will be turned off by default, until you activate them directly in the [privacy and cookies settings manager] or authorize us to do so.
Regarding other Cookies and technologies we may use, you may block or restrict them on your computer or device or purge them from your browser by adjusting your web browser preferences. You should consult the operating instructions that apply to your browser or your mobile device’s user guide for instructions on how to configure your setting to meet your preferences. Cookies allow you to take advantage of some features or functions of the Digital Services, so if you block or otherwise reject our cookies, you may not be able to use some features of the Digital Services. If you don’t want your browser to share information with Google Analytics, you may download an Opt-out Browser Add-on by clicking here. Please note that the Add-on does not prevent information from being sent to Nikon.
Tools on Mobile Devices. You can control the tools on your mobile devices. For example, you can turn on and off the GPS locator or push notification on your phone. Please consult your mobile device’s user guide for instructions on clearing cookies, enabling and disabling location services, and disabling push notifications.
Do Not Track (“DNT”) Signals. Nikon does not currently respond to DNT signals but may do so in the future.
- Accessing and Updating Your PII
You have choices about the data Nikon collects. When you are asked to share your PII with us, you may decline; however, your choice not to share your PII with Nikon may mean you will not be able to use or (fully) benefit from our services, features or offerings.
Some Nikon Websites may allow you to set up an account and access and update your PII by logging into your account and going to the appropriate section of your account.
- International Data Transfer
If you reside in a country other than Canada, upon providing your PII to Nikon, you will be indicating your explicit consent that the PII you have provided may be transferred to, processed, and stored in a country that has less restrictive privacy laws than Canada.
- Links to Other Websites
- Notification Procedures
In the unlikely event your PII is accessed, lost, or stolen by an unauthorized third party, Nikon will exercise commercially reasonable efforts to notify you to the extent required by law and disclose to you the personal data that was accessed/disclosed using the contact information provided to us or by other reasonable means.
- Contact Nikon to Ask Questions and Provide Feedback Regarding Privacy